8.5 miles
At least
that’s what my “smart” phone told me I’d walked when I checked it at the end of
a warm and humid day in the city. By then I was home. On the couch. The first
of a few ice-cold double vodka and club sodas in my hand, the White Sox and Rays
duking it out on TV, beginning a binge of 6 hours of baseball on the couch,
bachelor to the wife not being home, she enjoying a weekend of swimming, conversating,
kvetching, eating, drinking, and whatever it was women did on the so-called
girl’s weekends.
8.5
miles.
It had
to be right.
Smart
phones are always right…right?
My body
felt like I’d done 8.5 miles. I tend to walk a lot, but I do not like being
outside in hot and humid weather in a borough of the city where
there are nearly as many tourist roaming around as rats running around in
darkened subway tunnels. But there I’d done it. 8.5 miles. I had the proof on
the phone. The proof in the dried sweat on my brow. The proof in the sore back,
sore hips, sore knees, and whatever other soreness that this ungodly age of 52
throws at a man who is just trying to get through his day.
And I did it all....for baseball cards.
I had
concocted the idea of visiting local sports card shops right around the time
that my wife mentioned that girls weekend would be happening on the last
weekend of July, the weekend of The National, that treasured sports card
convention that I wouldn’t be attending; the one that has left me with a small
bit of FOMO each year that I’ve been back at collection.
So I’ll
label this little jaunt the MOFO Tour 2026.
The goal
was to visit three sports card shops:
Bleecker
Trading in Greenwich Village
Alex’s
MVP in the Upper East Side/Yorkville section of the City
Bleecker
Trading Upper West Side…or Bleecker Trading UWS…as the Zoomers like to refer to
areas of the city now by acronym.
I began
my trek in The Village. Because Greenwich Village began as a rural hamlet in 17th
century New York, today’s Village does not adhere to the rigid grid plan laid
out in the 19th century and then subsequently put into place over
the years. That means the streets can be as unruley and varied as the ones in downtown
Manhattan. That means a man can get lost strolling around, even one such as myself
who boats of having a Beat Generation lineage/connection with the likes of Ginsburg,
Kerouac, Corso and anyone else you had roaming those Village streets. And being of that lineage means I don’t
use GPS to get around.
So, I got
lost.
I found
myself walking up and down Village streets thinking, no it’s the corner, no it’s
that corner. I was getting a little stressed. But not terribly stressed. You
can come across some cool things in The Village if you’re just walking around
looking for a sports card shop.
Like the
home of some old Friends....like of the Rachel and Monica variety.
Or the
place folks rioted for their rights and sparked a movement.
I
eventually found my first destination, Bleecker Trading. Or stumbled upon it, if I’m being honest.
I had only
been to Bleecker Trading one time before. Being a regular is kind of hard,
living in the back end of Brooklyn and usually going over to the city for a purpose/reason
with a wife who, for some strange reason, doesn’t want to spend part of her
afternoon in a sports card store. Full disclosure...she has endured many a sports card store for me...just not a whole day of it. Bleecker is a touch small. It’s got a small
store front with a few display cases and some shelving for boxes, blasters,
etc. They do have some back rooms and a patio, which, I believe, are used for
breaks and for trading nights and the card shows they’ve been doing for the last
year or so.
The
staff are incredibly nice and knowledgeable.
That will
be a continued theme throughout the day at all three locations.
Also…for
the purpose of this trip, I decided that I would purchase something in each
store I visited. It didn’t need to be an extravagant purchase. Just something.
Most of
the items in the display cases were of the graded variety and mostly newer
product…although there was a 1980 Topps Rickey that was calling to me a little
bit. I don’t do graded. I have my opinions on graded cards, which will remain
with me. But, like most collectors, I believe you should collect what makes you
happy. Grading is a big part of The Hobby, so it must be making tons of collectors
happy. So be it.
For a collector like me, who likes to dive
through quarter, dollar, etc bins, Bleecker Trading had a few sports card and Pokemon
cards to look through.
I bought the following cards.
Nothing fancy or crazy.
The Bart is gold and the Junior is chrome.
All three are players that I collect.
My stomach was beginning to rumble from the
hungry attributed to getting lost.
And I knew EXACTLY where I wanted to go to
take care of that hunger.
It was so long Greenwich Village and Hello
Soho…it’s great to be back.
After a thirty-minute walk in the heat and humidity.
But it was worth it for this.
If you ever come to NYC…yes, yes, by all
means try and do eat as much NYC style pizza as you can. I indulge at least
once a week as I’m a noted pizza-holic who even owns pizza socks and two pizza related
t-shirts. But it can’t be NYC style all the time…or can it? Yes, it can. But if
you are ever looking to try something different in the realm of pizza, you can’t
go wrong with Prince Street Pizza. It's Sicilian style or a suqare or whatever you want to call it. The way the pie is made is cheese/then sauce on top. Prince Street's specialty is their spciy pepperoni square. They use char pepperoni and if you don't know what that is, it's those pepperonis that are smaller, get really crispy, kind of bend like a chrome card and have the smallest little pool of oiil in them. Really healthy I'm sure. The fear of looking like a toursist kept me from taking a photo but you can see what they are all about right HERE.
While I was in SOHO/Nolita, and since it was right around the corner from Prince Street Pizza, I made it a point to stop by St. Patrick’s Cathedral on Mott Street, otherwise known as The Basilica of St. Patrick’s Old Cathedral, St. Patrick’s Old Cathedral, or simply Old St. Patrick’s.
This was the cathedral of the Archdiocese of New York City until that other one
was built on 5th Avenue. I’ve been reading a lot about 19th
century New York lately, and I’d really wanted to stop by here at some point
and see the old church. I do wish that I’d gone inside.
But it was after noon.
And getting hotter.
And swampy.
And if you’ve ever been in hot and swampy
NYC…..
It was time to go uptown via air conditioned subway.
To this place.
...only I forgot to take a damned photograph of the store front.
Alex’s MVP is on York Avenue in the Yorkville/Upper
East Side section of the city., once a former enclave for German immigrants. Alex’s does both card and comics, and I’ve been
coming here off and on, mostly off because of how long the journey is, since
about 2019. Alex’s is an old school card shop. Display cases. Boxes of cards.
Packs of cards. Old packs. New Packs. In between packs. You name it. The place
has probably twenty (probably more) monster boxes filled with cards ranging
from $1-$5 boxes, as well as boxes filled with vintage cards (that I only saw
after I made my purchases and had to leave because my middle-aged back was
killing me from spending an hour looking through said card boxes). I don’t know
how many I looked through. Enough to need a chiropractor.
I purchased these.
I’m at the point now where if I see a
Murakami card/I buy a Murakami card. I’ve always been fascinated by Japanese
baseball, even more so since I’d been to Japan and was able to watch as much of
the game as I could on TV on nights after walking the great cities of that amazing
nation. When a Japanese player comes to the states, I tend to collect them. And
Murakami, being the single-season HR leader in Japan, just makes him more
special to me.
There was one card that really caught my eye
at Alex’s. It’s a card that I’d wanted since my childhood.
The 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly.
But I balked at the $75 price and didn’t get
it.
As for the rest of Alex’s MVP…had my back
not given out on me…I could’ve spent hours in the place. There was just that MUCH to look through.
But there was still one more shop to visit.
And that was this place.
Just a quick M79 bus ride across Manhattan
and through Central Park and I was at Bleecker Trading Upper West Side (UWS).
Bleecker
Trading UWS is the newer of the two Bleecker stores, and their storefront is decidedly
bigger. They still have that display case in front of the store full of graded
and numbered gems. What Bleecker Trading UWS does have is a lot more bins for
collectors to go searching through. And these nice round tables to sit at while
doing so. It was honestly nice to take a load off the back and the legs and
just look through cards in a friendly air-conditioned sports card store while
the world did what it did in the heat and humidity outside.
I found
this.
I’d been looking for one of those.
Yeah, it’s
a little bit off center.
But a Tony
Gwynn Fleer rookie card is a Tony Gwynn Fleer rookie card.
I was
all set to make my Tony Gwynn purchase when it suddenly hit me that I hadn’t
spent nearly the money that I’d set out to spend on that glorious day. So, reason and sanity having left me I went and added this.
I don’t
know why.
I have
notoriously bad luck opening blaster boxes…unless they are ones that my wife
has purchased for me.
The one
pictured was no different.
It was a
complete and utter bust and I'll leave the gory details out of this post.
And what’s
even worse…taking the value of that blaster along with the value of the Tony Gwynn
card, I was only about $16 shy of the cost of the Don Mattingly 1984 Donruss.
Maybe it was the heat. Maybe it was exhaustion. Maybe sometimes I don’t like to
admit it, but I can be a quantity over quality type of collector. Having more
is never better than having what you want.
I’m
going to go ahead an blame the heat for that one.
Anyway,
that was the FOMO Tour ’26.
Thanks for Reading! Happy Collecting!













No comments:
Post a Comment