Friday, October 21, 2022

More Football Cards...yes, I know

 


Football cards

…again.

I know…

But ‘tis the season…or, it’s still too early to be using a phrase like that, right?

All the same it is Football season, or it has been for a number of weeks now. Football is probably the sport I’m consuming most, reading about the most, and purchasing for my card collection the most.

I just can’t get with these MLB playoffs. Minus a team or two, it’s the same group of teams in the post-season nearly every year. And, yeah, the winners have been varied. But one fact remains; the winner is usually a team with one of the highest payrolls in the league. But that’s the way MLB (and, sadly, a good many of its fans) wants it…well, that’s how they get it.

Enjoy the diminishing broadcast numbers.

And, yes, I too was excited to see Seattle and Cleveland in the playoffs…even though, other than Julio Rodriguez and Jose Ramirez, I couldn’t tell you another Mariner or Guardian player.

I watch a lot of teams and a lot of baseball.

Seattle hasn’t been on my radar since Griffey Jr. left.

And Cleveland…I grew up less than 3 hours away from that city…and the team never registered for me.

But I digress.

So I’ve been reading a lot about football.

This book specifically.


Which I’ll get to in an upcoming blog.

But when I read about a sport, or a player in a sport, it tends to fuel my collecting. The MacCambridge book probably spurred the purchase of the 2022 Score Cards. Its certainly going to be spurring the next ComC purchase that I make. Hint? Wallet is going to take a HIT. And the book spurred me to get back to the football PC, for some players that I’m already collecting, and have an interest in collecting.

Yes, this is going to be a show and tell blog post.

I did a recent, well, not too recent ComC purchase of football cards.

I really wanted to get a lot of this guy.


Aside from Terry Bradshaw, or maybe even more so, Mean Joe Greene has always been one of the most mythic and magisterial of Pittsburgh Steelers. I was really too young to watch him play, but, as the old adage goes; his legend lives on. I probably know Mean Joe more for his Coke commercial rather than his playing. Nevertheless, he’s a Steeler I revere. And, like Bradshaw, I want his cards in my ever-growing football PC.

And Mean Joe’s cards are pretty cheap.

If you don’t mind the condition.

I’m going to have to save up for his rookie though.

I also filled in some gaps on my Jack Lambert PC.


Sans rookie again…but we’ll get there…one day.

I basically bought the house on John Stallworth.


Including his 1978 Topps rookie.

Grabbed a couple of other Steelers rookie cards that weren’t pricey at all.


Always loved that Louis Lipps card.

But it wasn’t all Steelers.

I grew up fascinated by Bo Jackson. I’m sure a lot of us did. He was the first two-sport pro player that I’d ever seen. Bo’s 1987 Topps rookie card is one of my favorite and favorite-looking cards of all-time. He made me want to try and like the Raiders. I can’t wait to read Jeff Pearlman’s book on him when it comes out later this year. And I have a small PC of Bo’s cards as well.

But mostly his baseball cards.

So, I grabbed these.


Lastly, I wanted to go a little modern for the PC. Modern is hard because, at least in my view, the cost of so many player’s rookie cards, especially quarterbacks, is inflated beyond belief. Don’t believe me, look up Josh Allen’s rookie cards on ComC. But, like I said last week, I like the Miami Dolphins (not this Sunday, of course). And I like Tua Tagovailoa, even though he takes crap and gets crapped upon (even by his own team). I think he’s a solid NFL quarterback, and maybe even a franchise guy. I wanted some Tua rookies. And, in comparison to other QBs, his were affordable to a cheapskate like me.

I got these two.


Coincidentally…and sadly at that, the cards arrived the day before Tua had that nasty concussion scare on Thursday Night Football.  But he’s back this week. I’m glad for that. I just hope he has a bad game against the Steelers.

Anyway…sorry for the show and tell.

 Thanks for reading! Happy Collecting!

NEXT FRIDAY: Stalled set building.


1 comment:

  1. Personally... I think Jack Lambert looks a tad more mean on those three cards than Joe Greene does on his five.

    ReplyDelete

Cooperstown, Whatever, Etc.