I’m doing this thing.
Maybe
others of you out there do it too.
But
I’ve decided to build my sets by hand. I know what you’re saying, anyone who
chooses to build a set builds it by hand. Maybe I should say this: I’m building
my sets by analog. What I’m doing is building sets solely by buying
packs/blasters/etc., and then trying to find any remaining cards on my
checklist via card shows, local LCS, or via trade with another human being.
Does
that count as analog?
In
the past, when I reached a certain number on my checklist, say, a final ten
cards that I needed to complete a set; I’d go online somewhere like SportsLots
and just buy the rest. I’ve decided to cut out that internet conduit. I’m
telling myself that I’m doing this for fun, and not because I’m a technophobe
who doesn’t like to make online purchases. I will admit that putting sets
together, albeit a much longer process, has brought the thrill of the chase
back into The Hobby for me in way it was there as a kid, but not so much as an
adult when I got back into collecting with the entire world wide web at my
fingertips.
It
also helps to have an LCS with kickass 25-cent boxes.
I’ve
been trying to put together the entire 400-card Topps flagship football set. I
got myself down to needing three cards. The other day, after striking out in my
LCS’s 25-cent bin, I decided to take a chance and I bought a $7 fat pack of
Football cards.
I
kid you not…but all three of the cards that I needed to complete the set we’re
in that box.
It
was hard not to squeal and stamp my feet like a child collector when I came
across them.
With
that, the set that I’ve been working on the longest using this process is the
2025 Topps Update Baseball set. For at least six months down my checklist had
been sitting at needing three cards to complete the set.
U268
Ty France
U312 Hyeseong Kim (rookie debut)
U335 Colin Rea
That same day at
the LCS I found these.
So…yeah…
…and
then there was one.
I’m
looking at you Ty France.
This
is where the process is going to get interesting for me. I’ve utterly exhausted
my LCS 25-cent box. Unless the do another dump of 2025 Topps Update (unlikely
at this point) I have to consider that source finished. There are card shows.
But, in truth, I haven’t seen much in the way of 25-cent boxes at shows…or even
$1 boxes. Most of the shows I’ve gone to in the City or in Brooklyn; the
dealers there are really into bringing and selling their insert cards. I could
go back to the packs/blasters route. The CVS in my neighborhood has a ton of
2025 Update in their little card nook.
But
for one card?
There
is the idea of a person-to-person trade.
My
local LCS does trade nights. But that would require a collector bringing along
a 2025 Topps Update Ty France. And what in the hell would I even trade for it?
My one caveat to this experience is that I won’t rule out trading with a
collecting friend on social media. But since Elon took over X, my card
community has really become splintered. So I’m not really sure what to even try
and do there.
The
Ty France card is out there.
That’s
all I know.
In
some pack.
At
some show.
In
a 25-cent box that I have yet to comb over.
…and
the search continues.
…or
it doesn’t.
I
wrote the above earlier this week. This morning I finally had some time to
devote to the good ol’ Hobby, and I was able to add the Kim and Rea cards to my
2025 Update Set. When low and behold I
came upon this page.
There…right
there…in the middle of the page…Ty France.
I
had the damned card all along. Sitting there in utter disbelief (although I
shouldn’t have been as this has happened before…only in reverse…with me NEEDING
a card I thought I had already), I flipped through the binder a good three or
four times to see if maybe it was another card from the set that I needed. But
there wasn’t. They were all there. All 350 cards.
I
guess the next blog post I write should be about senility in aging collectors
such as myself.
Anyway…
Thanks for Reading! Happy
Collecting!
Been there, done that! Glad you had it though.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on completing both of those sets. I wish my LCS sold had awesome quarter boxes. Heck... I'd be happy if they sold commons for 25¢. I'd definitely try to wrap up sets in person, but that's not the case. And the era of having a free mall show in the area has come to a close, so that's no longer an option. Yet my cabinet of set builds is overflowing... so I'm forced to use Sportlots to finish off some sets. That was actually my priority this week over blogging.
ReplyDeleteIn fact... I completed my 2025 Topps Update set too. Technically I ordered the last card (#US284), but it should be arriving in the next week or so.